This is the story of my journey as I attempt to establish roots and do more than just "Live on the Surface".



Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Family Table

We truly believe that in order to have a strong presence in any community you first need to be a strong family.

In today's society there are many different dynamics that make up a family unit but one thing has remained the same.  The location of the dining table.  What has changed is how often it is used.

We make a  point to eat as a family every night.  When I was working we tried to do this but honestly it just didn't happen very often.  As much as I love all of the other experiences I get to have staying home with the kids, this one by far is my favorite.

Not only are my toddlers learning table manners at a very young age but we are also developing a habit that will carry through into their teenage years.  It is much easier to get a two year old to have a meal with you than trying to convince a 15 year old that they need to not eat in their room.

The kids help me set the table.  I prep and cook dinner before AJ gets home.  The TV goes off and music comes on.  We get to talk about every one's day AND as a bonus I have found the kids are much more likely to try something new if they see mommy and daddy eating it.

When AJ has to work late the kids and I still sit down and eat.  Daddy's place is still set and we fix him a plate and cover it with foil.  When he gets home I sit down with him while he eats and more often than not the kids join us.

I know that because of life schedules it may not be possible for a "family meal" for everyone every night but what ever you can work out, try it!

I probably sound like a PSA for eating together and maybe I am.  Right now, it is my favorite thing we do as a family and it costs us nothing.

I suppose I will check back in with you guys in about 13 years when the kids are 15 and see what they think.  In between football practice, cheer squad and boyfriend/girlfriends I am hoping they will still have time for me and our "tradition".  ;)

1 comment:

  1. I belive your kids will thank you when they are older...they won't have to take conversation and ettique classes as adults to feel they 'fit in' with the boss and co-workers!

    ReplyDelete